George Monbiot and the Irish mink problem

spot

Post by spot »

It's not often I take issue with the chap but he's wrong.Had these people tipped a tanker load of bleach into the headwaters of the river Finn, they would have done less damage. The effects would be horrible for a while, but the ecosystem could then begin to recover. The mink, by contrast, will remain at large for years, perhaps millennia. Like many introduced species, American mink can slash their way through the ecosystem, as they have no native predators, and their prey species haven't evolved to avoid them. Is there anything the animal lovers in Donegal could have done that would have harmed more animals?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... introduced

If there were no animal rights activists in Donegal there would still be wild mink across the county from careless management of the existing fur farms. There are already wild mink in Donegal, they will never be removed, they are now and will remain a problem for Irish ecology. This is nothing to do with animal rights activists who have in no way worsened the already existing problem.

What they have done is shone a spotlight on fur farming in the Republic, and a good thing too. They have risked their personal freedom to do so. They should be applauded, the Irish Republic should close the farms down immediately and then, if it feels like making a futile gesture doomed to failure, attempt to clear up the already existing wild mink.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

If it's not native.......farm away. Im a huge supporter of not wasting an animal if it has to be exterminated.

Oh, and I'll leave a PO box number for my new coat.......cheers.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1501590 wrote: Like many introduced species, American mink can slash their way through the ecosystem, they have no native predators, and their prey species haven't evolved to avoid them.

Much like the Americans, themselves...

Return to “Conservation The Environment”