Water for birds...

Oscar Namechange

Water for birds...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I put this on Facebook but can I ask those here to not forget water for the birds when you feed them ?

All birds suffer from heat exhaustion due to dehydration very quickly In the weather we've been having which makes them easy targets for cats and even the old wily Fox.

I am privaliged to have an extremely large colony of House Sparrows which have been In decline over the years. I had someone come out a few years ago from the RSPB and they put the numbers around 700 although myself, I believe many were Dunnocks and Tree sparrows.

I took the lid off my can recycling box ( you know that useless green box the council give you for tins ) and filled It with water.... I have been rewarded today with a gaggle of sparrows early morning bathing, a splishing and a splashing.

Later, the Blackbirds came down for a drink and my make shift spa has been active all day.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tude dog

Water for birds...

Post by tude dog »

oscar;1432009 wrote: I put this on Facebook but can I ask those here to not forget water for the birds when you feed them ?

All birds suffer from heat exhaustion due to dehydration very quickly In the weather we've been having which makes them easy targets for cats and even the old wily Fox.

I am privaliged to have an extremely large colony of House Sparrows which have been In decline over the years. I had someone come out a few years ago from the RSPB and they put the numbers around 700 although myself, I believe many were Dunnocks and Tree sparrows.

I took the lid off my can recycling box ( you know that useless green box the council give you for tins ) and filled It with water.... I have been rewarded today with a gaggle of sparrows early morning bathing, a splishing and a splashing.

Later, the Blackbirds came down for a drink and my make shift spa has been active all day.

I am no bird expert, but do see all kinds of feathered creature visit this little spa the Mrs put up.

You can't see it, but there is an electrical cord connected to the bath. It has a heater to keep the water from freezing during the winter. I am always amazed to see birds bathing in freezing weather. Think of it, there is no water to drink, just snow and ice. Next winter I gotta take some pics.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tabby

Water for birds...

Post by tabby »

We have 2 bird baths in shady areas of the yard and the birds seem to enjoy the cool water immensely. If word ever reaches them of the set-up in Tude Dog's yard, they'll probably head west!

Sometimes they like to give themselves dust baths in the summer ... any one know why?
Oscar Namechange

Water for birds...

Tude.... that Is an awesome set up.... makes my bin lid look primitive.

Tabby

Bathing and Dusting
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Fyrenza

Water for birds...

Post by Fyrenza »

We have, and will, again, provide at least 1 acre to a pond for ALL fowl,

and ALL of the other animals/creatures,

for they come in all varieties ~

water snakes; turtles; geese; ducks; armadillos; all of the song/show-birds; skunks; wild boar and javelina; deer; fish, mostly catfish and bass, that the water birds bring in the eggs of, on their feet; owls; egrets; herons; etc.

When you live in the country, and it's a peaceful refuge?

LOTS of creatures like to come, and stay, during their seasons. :wink:

Such a THOUGHTFUL OP, for city folks!!! :thumbsup:

(sorry ~ even going "Advanced" is no help, if the smiley captions are tiny black font on some med/dark green color)
Oscar Namechange

Water for birds...

Fyrenza;1432195 wrote:

Such a THOUGHTFUL OP, for city folks!!! :thumbsup:

I live In the countryside.
Fyrenza

Water for birds...

Post by Fyrenza »

I meant that it was thoughtful to remind the city folks.

No stock tanks/ponds on your land?
Oscar Namechange

Water for birds...

Fyrenza;1432271 wrote: I meant that it was thoughtful to remind the city folks.

No stock tanks/ponds on your land?

Yep

I've still given them a bath next to where we put their feeders.
Fyrenza

Water for birds...

Post by Fyrenza »

Nice!

We've got five cats, though, so I usually turn on a sprinkler for the birds to actually bathe.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”