More than 30 billion kilowatt-hours of energy wasted.........

binbag

Post by binbag »

Hi, "LocalCooling": Some of you might be interested in the content of this web site.

More than 30 billion kilowatt-hours of energy is wasted because many of us simply forget to shut down our computers when we’re not using them. If we could just improve the efficiency of how we use our PCs, the savings in energy costs would be over $3 billion dollars!(£222.562221436142) The CO2 emissions from just 15 computers are equivalent in energy terms to the gas (petrol) consumption used by one car.

LocalCooling is a 100% Free power management tool from Uniblue Labs that allows users to optimize their energy savings in minutes and as a result reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions.

>>> Localcooling
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Or let SETI use that off time too....................

SETI Institute
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I read about this a feww weeks ago. I now shut down my satelittes when not watching tv. Now if I could get my wife and kids to turn off a light every now and then I could save even more $$$$
binbag

Post by binbag »

chonsigirl;1326051 wrote: Or let SETI use that off time too....................

SETI Institute

Haven't heard of seti before chonsigirl, I'll need to have a good look around the site.

[/FONT]
binbag

Post by binbag »

YZGI;1326056 wrote: I read about this a feww weeks ago. I now shut down my satelittes when not watching tv. Now if I could get my wife and kids to turn off a light every now and then I could save even more $$$$

Now if someone could invent a family light "turner offerer" (lol) they would make a fortune YZGI.

[/FONT]
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

binbag;1326095 wrote: Now if someone could invent a family light "turner offerer" (lol) they would make a fortune YZGI.

I've had training sessions at my house. Up lights on, down lights off. Now everyone come over here and try.:wah:

Some type of motion detector might work. If in say 5 minutes no motion is detected in the room the lights go out. Damn I think I'm on to something. Of course if you want a particular light on for security reasons it can be disengaged.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Now if someone could invent a family light "turner offerer" (lol) they would make a fortune YZGI.

Round here, he's called the bill payer. :)

I'm also thinking of putting a temperature lock on the clothes dryer to encourage use of the clothes line in warm weather.

Oh, and does it make a difference to turn off your pc and modem at the mains, or is it energy efficient just to turn off the pc?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
binbag

Post by binbag »

Clodhopper;1326187 wrote: Round here, he's called the bill payer. :)

I'm also thinking of putting a temperature lock on the clothes dryer to encourage use of the clothes line in warm weather.

Oh, and does it make a difference to turn off your pc and modem at the mains, or is it energy efficient just to turn off the pc?

Hi there Clodhopper, I'm no expert but I always simply switch off the PC tower when I'm finished using it however, that's a interesting point you've raised, one I've never thought about.

I honestly cannot think the PC would use any electricity as long as the monitor is switched off manually also.

The modem, well that will certainly burn some electricity, but, because of the time it takes to start powering itself up again I find it a pain in the buttocks.

Even your phone line, I believe, burns a "tiny" amount of electricity.

Maybe someone will jump in a tell me I'm talking rubbish. lol

"he's called the bill payer" :wah:

[/FONT]
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Hi there Clodhopper, I'm no expert but I always simply switch off the PC tower when I'm finished using it however, that's a interesting point you've raised, one I've never thought about.

I honestly cannot think the PC would use any electricity as long as the monitor is switched off manually also.

Hello there.:)

I too simply turn off the pc button. You just made me wonder if turning off at the mains as well would be more energy efficient. I always turn off the tv and cable box at the mains.

Must remember to turn off the monitor...

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I have an end-of-the-day ritual ! I log out of the laptop, let it run through its quitting process, then I pull out the mains plug, the plug for the internet connection, the plug for the printer and the scanner (if used), then I switch off the mains board that has the TV, radio etc. plugged in. I have a built in modem in my laptop, so that goes off with the laptop. :-6:yh_wink
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
binbag

Post by binbag »

Clodhopper, I've been thinking about this and I agree with G#Gill, removing all plugs from the mains, not only for any possible electric energy usage, but especially important as an accidental fire safety measure. We all should really follow that piece of advice.

I'm very guilty of not removing plugs from the wall sockets at night, so thank you G#Gill. + 10 4 U.

[/FONT]
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Just been doing some research (OK, a few quick googles).

TV max 238w, ave 127w, standby 0.8w

Monitor ave 31w, standby <1w

Printer max 20w

So you can leave both the TV and Monitor on standby continuously for a month and it will cost less than £0.10
binbag

Post by binbag »

Bryn Mawr;1326580 wrote: Just been doing some research (OK, a few quick googles).

TV max 238w, ave 127w, standby 0.8w

Monitor ave 31w, standby

Hah, incredible Bryn Mawr, what a delight to read of something that doesn't cost the earth nowadays.

The only downer I feel, is (G#Gill brought this to mind in post #10) the safety aspect when leaving appliances on during the night. (my post #11)

Good thinking on your part for your research, very interesting too.

[/FONT]
Odie

Post by Odie »

binbag;1326048 wrote: Hi, "LocalCooling": Some of you might be interested in the content of this web site.

More than 30 billion kilowatt-hours of energy is wasted because many of us simply forget to shut down our computers when we’re not using them. If we could just improve the efficiency of how we use our PCs, the savings in energy costs would be over $3 billion dollars!(£222.562221436142) The CO2 emissions from just 15 computers are equivalent in energy terms to the gas (petrol) consumption used by one car.

LocalCooling is a 100% Free power management tool from Uniblue Labs that allows users to optimize their energy savings in minutes and as a result reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions.

>>> Localcooling

my computer is shut down every night.......the printer is always off unless in use.

the fax machine is also shut down at night.

What bothers me is the ones who abuse central air condtioning, a huge huge mistake for gas emissions.

Some put it on at the start of summer.....and its never shut off.

offices, buildings, stores, etc....there is no need to have a/c run 24/7.

and don't get me started just how many leave lights on 24/7.:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Thanks for that, Bryn. Went and checked my monitor and its standby power use seems to be about 2W. It appears there is a good deal of variation between makes.

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1326815 wrote: Thanks for that, Bryn. Went and checked my monitor and its standby power use seems to be about 2W. It appears there is a good deal of variation between makes.

Even then, twenty days continuous standby to the kilowatt hour is not excessively wasteful IMHO.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

"20 billion kilowatt hours wasted" My reaction was, "How do they how much power I've wasted online all these years?" :)

Return to “Conservation The Environment”