Life without money

Clodhopper

Life without money

Post by Clodhopper »

What type of power are you referring to? Political, energy?

Energy. I was just thinking about the practicalities. Oh, and it would have to be non-polluting energy.

Personally, I believe the 'missing ingredient' you refer to is a spiritual attitude.

Hmm. In what way? Takes more than attitude to keep the fridge cold or fresh water coming out the tap. I suppose we could all manage our own cesspits.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
OpenMind

Life without money

Post by OpenMind »

Clodhopper;1326226 wrote: Energy. I was just thinking about the practicalities. Oh, and it would have to be non-polluting energy.

Hmm. In what way? Takes more than attitude to keep the fridge cold or fresh water coming out the tap. I suppose we could all manage our own cesspits.

I'm not sure of the name of the scientist who discovered a method for self-perpuating electricity. Weber, perhaps. Not sure off hand. It is possible and perfectly feasible.

I actually do know a man who I worked with just over a year ago who wants to work in the sewers. Not for the money, he wants to work in the sewers. Takes all sorts.

There should be enough people with enough interest in maintaining the structure to make it work.
cars

Life without money

Post by cars »

OpenMind;1326127 wrote: I hope that I can show you that 'services' would be better tailored towards your needs if we did not depend upon money - assuming, of course, that you are not taliking about financial services.

I hope, also, that without the need for money, you would be able to put as much into and take as much out of your interests and also be able to focus more on quality rather than 'needs must'.

Money is the root of all evil!

That being said, I still need money (for example) to have my lawn mowed, as I have a monsterous hill that is a backbreaker to cut, & I can't cut it any longer myself! So the "quality" of life for me is I don't have to cut it, & I'm happy and by not cutting it myself, "pain free"!!! !!!
Cars :)
OpenMind

Life without money

Post by OpenMind »

I find it quite astounding that, generally speaking, folk just cannot imagine a life without money.

Money is not like food or water, or the air we breathe. It is a man-made mechanism. And it wasn't that long ago, say 5 centuries or so, when it was rare for the common man to have money in his possession. So, why is it that people cannot imagine life without it?

However, the main reason why we cannot evolve from a money-based economy, is not only our psychological and economical attachment to it, but also because it is the main resource by which our political leaders control us.

Whereas the transition from bartering goods to bartering money was a natural evolvement, the next stage towards a self-compliant civilisation requires only a simple understanding of the economy, which is well within most of our intellectual abilities; including politicians.
OpenMind

Life without money

Post by OpenMind »

Probably the best way to describe a cash-free economy is to start from a pluralistic perspective. Society is based on institutions and these institutions create 'rules' by which their 'members' interact. The basic institutions are familial, communal, professional (including education), and political. Even the laziest person has a place in one of these institutions.
cars

Life without money

Post by cars »

OpenMind;1326395 wrote: I find it quite astounding that, generally speaking, folk just cannot imagine a life without money.

Money is not like food or water, or the air we breathe. It is a man-made mechanism. And it wasn't that long ago, say 5 centuries or so, when it was rare for the common man to have money in his possession. So, why is it that people cannot imagine life without it?

However, the main reason why we cannot evolve from a money-based economy, is not only our psychological and economical attachment to it, but also because it is the main resource by which our political leaders control us.

Whereas the transition from bartering goods to bartering money was a natural evolvement, the next stage towards a self-compliant civilisation requires only a simple understanding of the economy, which is well within most of our intellectual abilities; including politicians.

If this was five centuries ago, you're right we wouldn't depend on money as much!
Cars :)
Vaishali

Life without money

Post by Vaishali »

Well, everyone has their own priorities. For me, money is not everything but still money is much more than nothing. It's not that you can't live without money but money helps in solving lot's of problems. To provide better education to your children, you will need money. To get proper medical facilities,you need money. So I say, "Earn money to live life but don't live life to earn money!!!"
Dreamerguy

Life without money

Post by Dreamerguy »

I don't think anyone has explained how life without money would work. (With the possible exception of the barter system which uses services or products as a means of exchange.) Would everything be free? What if someone worked twice as hard as someone else? Would they still have access to the same stuff? What about someone who refused to work at all?
LarsMac

Life without money

Post by LarsMac »

Dreamerguy;1433043 wrote: I don't think anyone has explained how life without money would work. (With the possible exception of the barter system which uses services or products as a means of exchange.) Would everything be free? What if someone worked twice as hard as someone else? Would they still have access to the same stuff? What about someone who refused to work at all?

Without money as a means of exchange, one would have to contribute labor of some sort to get by, unless one could become an adept trader. Even that, though, requires actual effort.

Me, I am happy with money as the common barter measure. The only problem with money comes from greedy folks who think it a means to an end.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Conservation The Environment”