What would you like to conserve?

rabidringo

Post by rabidringo »

The populations of wildlife in urban areas are growing, are you prepare to do anything in your own garden? If so what?
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

My garden is huge and desperately overgrown! To the neighbours its an overgrown mess but I think its a wildlife wilderness! :wah:

We have a pear tree at the bottom of the garden which the butterflies feed on. There are wild strawberries and rhubarb for the frogs and snails. And I have a conifer tree which is stuffed to the rafters with birds and birdnests. The only problems we have are the neighbourhood cats who occasionally (rarely) catch a bird...and the landlord who also visits rarely but whom we have to do an annual mow for! *sigh* :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

There's a good recipe at http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1698632,00.html

Hedgehog spaghetti carbonara (serves four)

500g spaghetti, 30ml olive oil, 250g lean hedgehog, 1 medium onion (chopped), 125ml water, 60ml dry white wine, 4 eggs, 60ml double cream, 100g grated parmesan cheese
  • chop hedgehog into small chunks

beat eggs and cream together in a bowl. Add half the parmesan cheese

put pasta in boiling water

put onions and hedgehog chunks in pan with olive oil on medium heat until onions are almost clear

add wine and reduce heat

drain pasta when cooked, combine it with egg, cream and cheese mix

add meat, onions and wine without draining fat and mix thoroughly

garnish with remaining parmesan. Serve immediately
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

rabidringo;466322 wrote: The populations of wildlife in urban areas are growing, are you prepare to do anything in your own garden? If so what?
Strange drive-by, Rabid. Welcome, btw.

If you mean traps or poisons to keep them out, I recommend a good dog.

If you mean ways to assuage guilt for stealing their land, I'm putting a feeder in an oak tree for the sqirrels to raid.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Money, I never seem to have enough of it..........................
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

rabidringo;466322 wrote: The populations of wildlife in urban areas are growing, are you prepare to do anything in your own garden? If so what?

I support my local 3 counties wildlife fund - but in my own wee patch, I have nesting places for birds, and 5 different kinds of feed. (just brough the winder fat based stuff out) Also, we have bluebells and narcissus that grow wildly.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

SnoozeControl;466356 wrote: I'd like to see a little more conservation of lakes and waterways that are on migratory bird routes. I'd like to see less killing of coyotes, cougars and bears that we deem dangerous after we've encroached into their living spaces with cemented over slabs for our RVs and campers. I'd like to see more 'neuter and release' groups for feral cats.

:yh_clap :yh_clap

Perfectly said SnoozeControl! :-6

Return to “Conservation The Environment”