stunning cruelty to a manatee

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Manatee Found With Throat Slit, Dismembered

POSTED: 8:15 pm EST November 12, 2006

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- Wildlife officials called the capture and mutilation of a manatee one of the worst cases of abuse inflicted on the endangered sea mammal in recent memory, and have asked the public's help to find the people responsible.

A boater reported the manatee corpse -- floating with its throat slit and its flippers cut off - in the waters of Biscayne National Park off Homestead.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission scheduled a necropsy Monday to determine what killed the gentle marine mammal. Wildlife officers believe it was killed late Thursday or early Friday.

"It's pretty disgraceful that a manatee was treated that way," said National Park Service officer Brian Fields said. "They're protected and to see that happening, it's really disturbing. This is the first time I've seen this with manatees."

Anyone with information is urged to contact the National Park Service.

State officials have proposed downgrading the manatee's status from endangered to threatened. An annual census found 3,116 manatees in Florida waters in February.

Attached files
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

they are the most gentle and docile of creatures. i have often been in the water with them, they love for you to feed them lettuce and in the canal behind my place i would give them fresh water from a garden hose. they let me rub their tummies. it's like being in the water with an elephant. :) ...... i can't believe the sick person(s) who did this foul thing. :-1
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

This makes me so angry.

I'd like someone to cut the n*u*t*s off the guy who did this :mad:
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I sponsor a manatee called Whiskers.

I hope whoever did this meets their own horrific death the same way. They don't deserve to live. They're not human. :mad:
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

RedGlitter;457582 wrote: I sponsor a manatee called Whiskers.

That's wonderful :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Save the Manatee Club :cool:
guppy

Post by guppy »

that is so terrible. to hurt a beautiful docile animal. is a senseless act of cruelty.:thinking:
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

:( This is just a senseless and a despicable act, sometimes I despair of this world:-1
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Oh man. Thats just too sad.
I AM AWESOME MAN
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

lady cop;457567 wrote: Manatee Found With Throat Slit, Dismembered

POSTED: 8:15 pm EST November 12, 2006

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- Wildlife officials called the capture and mutilation of a manatee one of the worst cases of abuse inflicted on the endangered sea mammal in recent memory, and have asked the public's help to find the people responsible.

A boater reported the manatee corpse -- floating with its throat slit and its flippers cut off - in the waters of Biscayne National Park off Homestead.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission scheduled a necropsy Monday to determine what killed the gentle marine mammal. Wildlife officers believe it was killed late Thursday or early Friday.

"It's pretty disgraceful that a manatee was treated that way," said National Park Service officer Brian Fields said. "They're protected and to see that happening, it's really disturbing. This is the first time I've seen this with manatees."

Anyone with information is urged to contact the National Park Service.

State officials have proposed downgrading the manatee's status from endangered to threatened. An annual census found 3,116 manatees in Florida waters in February.

Could it have been from an outdoor boat motor??? It is always sad when man meets wildlife with mechanical devices. The wildlife always loses....:-1
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

nvalleyvee;458442 wrote: Could it have been from an outdoor boat motor??? It is always sad when man meets wildlife with mechanical devices. The wildlife always loses....:-1manatees are often cut up by props, we have very enforced no-wake zones because of it. many bear scars across their backs. but this one had throat cut and fins cut off, it was clearly intentional.

Attached files
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

lady cop;458443 wrote: manatees are often cut up by props, we have very enforced no-wake zones because of it. many bear scars across their backs. but this one had throat cut and fins cut off, it was clearly intentional.

I hope they catch the people...they won't............that is sick cruelty to animals .........I think those people are practicing on animals and will move to humans............can you say future serial killer? How very SAD.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Return to “Conservation The Environment”