Celebrities and the Environment

rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Do you think it is beneficial to have celebrities preaching to us "regular folk" about environmental issues? What if they aren't practicing what they preach - could what they be saying have a reverse affect on those listening if they aren't being good examples to follow?
Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

I know there are alot of celebrities out there saying that we should all be driving Hybrid cars like the Toyota Prius. I say I'll buy A hybrid as soon as they stop making them looking like Gay Spaceships!!!:yh_giggle
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Clint

Post by Clint »

Look, the way I see it, if you have vocal chords capable of hitting high C you know all you need to know to set policy on anything.:-3
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

^ :wah:

I have people tell me that because celebs have a voice that will be heard that they should use that voice. I'm not too sure about that. It is the same around election time - do the celebrities hurt or help the candidates running? I think they can hurt, depending on who is doing the listening. If you get this celebrity who lacks moral fiber telling us who the good politicians are, that might hurt a bit :-3

And as someone who believes in environmentalism, I find it a bit annoying to see celebrities out there preaching to use about global warming and hybrid vehicles and how WE should change when they themselves lack the motivation for change. They tell us to drive hybrids while littering in parking lots (Scarlet Johannsen), they tell us to plant trees while they date supermodels who work for companies that destroy endangered forests (Leonardo DiCaprio dating Gisele Bundchen while Victorias Secret chops down the Boreal Forest to make VS catalogs), they tell us to drive hybrids while they themselves are jumping into their SUVS (Charlize Theron). :confused:

It just makes me wonder, what good are they doing.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I think it may depend on the celebrity, and he clout they may have with the public. For example, the TV actor Ed Begley JR has always been a staunch environmentalist, he advocates for his believes but does not preach them, in my opinion.

I think I would listen to him about such things over, say, Tom Cruise, and they way he advocates for his beliefs.
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I think it may depend on the celebrity, and he clout they may have with the public. For example, the TV actor Ed Begley JR has always been a staunch environmentalist, he advocates for his believes but does not preach them, in my opinion.

Your right! That is true. There are some celebrities that do live with they preach and I think they are good examples for those to follow. I guess I'm just a bit heated by the hypocrits and their influence over the fanatics.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Perhaps I see this differently.

Imagine that YOU and I have celebrity for some reason. And suppose that we each have areas of interest that we consider extremely important--be they environmental or political or even spiritual.

Wouldn't we want to use our access to the media to convey our interests to the public? I know DARNED WELL that I would!

As a frequent visitor to Africa, I know first-hand how bad the situation there is. I'm delighted to see people like George Clooney, Sting, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and anyone else with the public ear speak up and direct attention to the plight of people AND animals on that continent.

Celebrities are just people....like you & me...and if they're thinking beyond their own lives to help others, HOORAY FOR THEM! It'd be easy to slip into the vapid, self-centered, narcissistic world of Paris Hilton, for example.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Do you think it is beneficial to have celebrities preaching to us "regular folk" about environmental issues? What if they aren't practicing what they preach - could what they be saying have a reverse affect on those listening if they aren't being good examples to follow?

Yes. Some people actuall think these "celebrities" have some worth! Strange,

but true. It does not matter to the great unwashed whether "celebrities"

practice what they preach, in general, so I'd say that anything uttered that's

got a possibility of actually being taken in must be a Good Thing.
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Lulu,

I understand what you are saying. But I'm thinking more along the lines of celebrities that talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Angelina, Brad, and George certainly do what they preach (adoption and giving money to those in need).

I was thinking more along the lines of someone like Leonardo DiCaprio.

He was on Oprah not too long ago and gave us all this speach on how we should drive eco-cars because it is better for the environment but then the man can't even stop jet setting for 5 minutes himself to limit his impact on the ozone layer. :thinking:

Sorta how the writer of this article puts it:

JUST PLANE HYPOCRISY

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10162006/go ... gesix_.htm

If we have to wonder about his integrity - will we wonder about the polticians integrity that he is stumping for?

And Leonardo certainly isn't the only one. Paris, I read recently, is making a trip to Africa in support of one of Oprah's charities. And though Paris's camp says this is fact, Oprah hasn't heard a thing about it :wah:

I just often wonder how many of these celebrities use justworthy causes to boost their own image. I also wonder how it impact their devoted following. If Paris gets up and makes a speach about the benefits of promiscuity - how many teens will listen :confused:

I feel the same about politics. I know a neighbor that voted for a certain "celebrity" politician just because the guy was a politican - and that celebrity got into office.

^The last two comments are just thoughts on the same topic I guess. It is this influence celebrities have over society that puzzles me and has me worried. The last election was a good example. The celebrities came out in droves to support the candidates and I can't count the number of negative articles I read regarding this celebrity involvement.

I read on another site where someone said that we expect too much of these celebrities. The said "What do we all expect, Leo to live in a grass hut somewhere in the middle of nowhere." Well, yes I do. If he's made it his mission in life to help the environment and push us all in the "right" direction than I expect him to live in the same fashion. I'd certainly have more respect for him if he did.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”