California to sue six car makers over emissions

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

From "The Daily Telegraph":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... fornia.xml

"California has announced it will sue six car manufacturers for the environmental damage caused by emissions from their vehicles, marking an escalation in the American state's battle against global warming.

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tony Blair are allies in the fight against climate change

The suit targets Chrysler, General Motors, Ford and subsidiaries of Honda, Nissan and Toyota, alleging that they have cost the state millions of dollars to counteract the effects of pollution."

Wow! Has anyone heard more of this?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I heard that on the radio. The reporter kept calling them "their cars" meaning the cars built by GM et al. Here's a news flash, California: They're not their cars anymore! They've been sold, sometimes many times over. They belong to Californians now. Sue them!

Oh yeh, I forgot. Californians don't have any money to be sued for since you take so much in taxes. :mad:

*grumbles* ... stupidest damn thing I ever heard of.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

trying to make public policy via lawsuits is one of the stupidest new trends here in the states. it's a way for politicians to bypass direct heat from the electorate by actually making the public policies themselves. it's shamefully populist and demagogic. i generally like arnold's take on the role of government, but - well, it's election season, so demagoguery is in full bloom.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]

Return to “Conservation The Environment”