Has anyone out there applied for medicare?

actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I have to go through the long and terrible process of applying for Medicare next week and I'm utterly confused about it. Do I just have to fill out some forms, or what? And how does medicare work? Do you pay for drugs then submit the paperwork or do they apply it to your fee at the pharmacy like they would with a regular insurance company? Argh!
abbey

Post by abbey »

Have a look at this site, it may have the answers you need x

http://www.familiesusa.org/site/PageSer ... e=homepage
actionfigurestepho

Ooh, thanks!
gmc

Post by gmc »

You guys really need to get a National Health Service. Ours may not be perfect but at least being able to afford it is not an issue.
Lon

Post by Lon »

actionfigurestepho wrote: Ooh, thanks!

I am on Medicare as well as having a Supplemental Plan to Medicare (it pays for what Medicare doesn't). It's not a long or ardous process in getting it, assuming you are age 65. I would suggest taking Parts A & B. The drug plan is not yet available and will be only to those seniors with low income, and even then, will not pay for everything. Do a GOOGLE search on Medicare.
actionfigurestepho

I'm not 65, I'm 23 : ( This is part of the problem. Most of the info I find is for seniors, not for those of us who fall into the "other" category. And as far as the 2006 drug coverage, I thought you could chose from either A OR B and the catch is that each only cover certain drugs...everything I read on it says something different. Not that I am bitter.
abbey

Post by abbey »

I realise that you have to pay for treatment in the States,

but what if you have no money or job, how do you get treated?
actionfigurestepho

That's where Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security Disability come in. Depending on your age and your medical problems, you can be eligible for one or all of the above. If you have insurance they can supplement insurance. If not, you're still going to be paying a lot for drugs but they'll help a little. It's all very confusing and the eligibility areas can be rather grey. (For example, my eligibility for Medicare, because I'm not 65 but I need a kidney transplant.) And for social security disability, very often you will need a lawyer because you have to prove the extent of your particular disability (I used to work with a laywer doing the social security stuff...it's a very slow, frightening system.)

If you don't have health insurance and you need to be treated for an immediate problem, you can go to a hospital and they have to treat you. Of course, that's outrageously expensive. But then again, so is insurance if you have a pre-existing condition. Either way, we pay a lot for our health. We have some wonderful hospital systems...but boy, do we pay for them!!!
abbey

Post by abbey »

Wow, i'm with GMC on this one,our National Health Service is poor

but at least we dont have the worry you guys have!

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”