Beware of the cat

gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Beware of the cat

Post by gmc »

Beware of the cat: Britain's hidden toxoplasma problem - Home News - UK - The Independent

So the next time my dog tries to ear the neighbours cat to bits should I let it?
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Beware of the cat

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1403260 wrote: Beware of the cat: Britain's hidden toxoplasma problem - Home News - UK - The Independent

So the next time my dog tries to ear the neighbours cat to bits should I let it? I looked Into this some years ago.... With any parasite, they don't last long outside the body... as the article says, the real risk Is In meat that has not been cooked properly. Most cats are fed tinned or dry food so I think there's much scare-mongering here.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
valerie
Posts: 7125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Beware of the cat

Post by valerie »

I read that article and I'm very surprised that no mention was made of

the dangers of pregnant women cleaning cats' litter boxes. As in, they

shouldn't unless they are VERY careful w/ mask and gloves.

The other worry is that while Oscar is right as to the food source for most

cats (not sure about there but here that's the case, too) the problem

comes when cats aren't kept totally indoors. So, they WILL hunt and kill

and partially or entirely consume small rodents, lizards, birds etc. There's

your raw meat, right there.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525



User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Beware of the cat

Post by Oscar Namechange »

valerie;1403316 wrote: I read that article and I'm very surprised that no mention was made of

the dangers of pregnant women cleaning cats' litter boxes. As in, they

shouldn't unless they are VERY careful w/ mask and gloves.

The other worry is that while Oscar is right as to the food source for most

cats (not sure about there but here that's the case, too) the problem

comes when cats aren't kept totally indoors. So, they WILL hunt and kill

and partially or entirely consume small rodents, lizards, birds etc. There's

your raw meat, right there.


You're right Valerie... I wasn't thinking of rodents etc... well said and very good point.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Beware of the cat

Post by Clodhopper »

So the next time my dog tries to ear the neighbours cat to bits should I let it?


Yes. That's just on general principle: There are waaaay too many round here, and my efforts to encourage wildlife in the garden are simply making it a cat's dinner bowl.

I'm not sure that a reduction in cat numbers in SW Scotland will affect the little buggers here, but I'm entirely willing to try the experiment.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Beware of the cat

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Clodhopper;1403544 wrote: Yes. That's just on general principle: There are waaaay too many round here, and my efforts to encourage wildlife in the garden are simply making it a cat's dinner bowl.

I'm not sure that a reduction in cat numbers in SW Scotland will affect the little buggers here, but I'm entirely willing to try the experiment. If your being pestered by pesky Moggies In your garden Clodness there are steps you can take that will deter the neighbours cats even thinking about coming Into your garden.

One, you can plant either Firethorn ( Pyracantha ) or Rose bushes along all sides of your fencing.... both have thorns. Even grow them In pots If you have no soil In your garden.

Two, you can buy rubber strips and metal ones that you nail to the top of fencing that have spikes on.... I'm told they help.

Three, borrow my Jack Russell for a few weeks !!!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Beware of the cat

Post by Clodhopper »

pyrocantha - pretty berries but by god the blossom stinks!

your other suggestions basically amount to turning my garden into Colditz, which has an appeal (I quite like the towers and searchlight idea) but feel the neighbours might object.

chuckle. I've also been told lion dung is good but don't fancy the collection issues. Have in fact ended up peppering the main entrance routes at intervals and chucking water. It helps. a bit. I think...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Beware of the cat

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Clodhopper;1403819 wrote: pyrocantha - pretty berries but by god the blossom stinks!

your other suggestions basically amount to turning my garden into Colditz, which has an appeal (I quite like the towers and searchlight idea) but feel the neighbours might object.

chuckle. I've also been told lion dung is good but don't fancy the collection issues. Have in fact ended up peppering the main entrance routes at intervals and chucking water. It helps. a bit. I think... Lion Dung I'm told has no effect at all...The strips I mentioned are very unassuming. They are not large metal spikes that make your neighbours think your mad just enough to disable a cat from getting a grip.

If you don't like the Idea of Pyrocantha, there are other shrubs that grow quickly In pots to form a hedge that stops cats being able to penetrate.

Lemon and orange peel scattered along the fence helps because they hate citrus.

Even nice rose bushes planted closley together will form a good barrier.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”