Prostate cancer

Lon

Prostate cancer

Post by Lon »

Prostate Cancer is one of the leading causes of death for men.

I would encourage all men over the age of 40 to get a annual PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test. While one test in and of itself will not indicate that you have cancer, a comparison of one year with another may indicate that a biopsy is needed. Even a low score on a PSA exam is not indicative that there is no cancer. What is of importance is the velocity of increase from one year to the next. In my particular case I doubled from one year to the next. From a PSA score of 1.8 to 3.9. A biopsy confirmed that I did indeed have Prostate Cancer with a Gleason Score of 7. Fortunately for me the cancer was contained within the Prostate Gland, but if it had not been detected early thanks to the PSA test, I would not be posting this. The PSA is a simple blood test and unfortunately not all doctors will encourage their patients to have the test. There are too many myths floating around about Prostate Cancer. One is that it only is of concern to older men. False, I have met a number of men in the mid thirties that were diagnosed with PC.

Another, you will be incontinent and impotent if you get treatment. False, while it is a possibility, good docs and the right treatment can prevent both. DEMAND A PSA TEST
CARLA

Prostate cancer

Post by CARLA »

Good advice Lon that all men should know about. As a women we should see that the men in our lives have this blood test it saves lives.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

tedhutchinson

Prostate cancer

Post by tedhutchinson »

The results suggest that a high level of vitamin D3 at the time of diagnosis, and thus, during cancer treatment, may improve prognosis of the three cancer types studied.

It pays to keep your 25(OH)D level above 55ng 137.5nmol/l. At that level not only does your body have sufficient vitamin D for it's daily needs but it also has sufficient to maintain a reserve for emergency use.

It's easy and quite cheap to get tested and the D3 supplements needed are also dirt cheap.

How Vitamin D Reduces Incidence of Cancer: This video explains the role of vitamin d deficiency in the initial stages of cancer development.

Vitamin D Prevents Cancer: Is It True? and this gives a more general overview of the role of Vitamin D3 in cancer prevention.

While of course Breast Cancer and Prostate cancer are not exactly the same there are things about them that are common to both, Particularly the association of low vitamin d status raising incidence levels and worsening prognosis and mortality.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”