This socalled backlash against healthy eating...

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

We are constantly being told what to eat because it will be good for us, but after being nearly nagged to death and cajoled remorselessly by the healthy eating movement we gaze into the culinary forbiding zone, the land of carbsoaked fat fried excess and, experience a quiver of longing for all these things like doughnuts, bangers, burger and chips and deep fried Mars bars.

How did our parents survive? And their parents? The women I see on the high street don't even have proper female figures anymore. They all look like a male from behind, awful stick insects of the human female. The famous movie stars like Jean Russell, Monroe and Ava Gardaner had a size 16 and didn't they look swell, the moves and the walk. Real Women.

Paula

Post by Paula »

oh well, thats life now. there are cholesterol reducing drugs, diet pills, stomach stapling, and you don't know any more if its a man or a woman? you know that. have you had your banana today & water?
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Der Wulf

Post by Der Wulf »

Guess it's either a life lived, or one preserved, 'fraid I'm not much into mummies or petrefication :yh_party
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
Paula

Post by Paula »

Previous generations survived, they went out and picked the food from the garden and prepared it. Today eveything is microwave and prepared food with high sodium. You are "what" you put into your body. Look in the mirror!
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

sodium's not a problem. stress is the problem. and distilled vegetable oils. and refined sugar. get rid of those, and deaths from heart disease would become a chapter in history books.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
Beth

Post by Beth »

Um, the size 16 was smaller than today's size 16, I think. I wish that being plumper and having an hour glass figure was the standard for women these days, then I would not have to starve and fight myself over certain foods and force myself to workout so much- with the end result still being plump.

I think people ate less processed foods back in the day, did actual work since they did not have all the time staving luxuries we have these days, ate food from gardens as earlier mentioned, possibly ate less meat before meat became so readily avalable already slaughtered in regular rural grocery stores.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

And children brought up as strict vegetarians suffer mental and physical problems that can affect them for the rest of their lives, according to another socalled leading nutritionist, who goes on to condemn parents that refuse to give their offspring meat or animal products.

We are being overloaded by these new gimicks. Eat this, or oh don't eat that.

Homer Simpson is the everyman we all admire, Tony Soprano the edgiest character on the box, and what do they have in comon. They eat Krispy Kreme Doughnuts which last year announced its intention to open in Ireland. Yum Yum.

Its true that eating what you like in moderation is good for you and we won't become food junkies.

All these fad diets such as Atkins and South beach can only have the ironic effect of making you crave the thing you've been denying yourself. Cutting out huge sections of your diet is not something that is going to be sustainable in the long term and I think we are seeing the results of this on the high street 'Stick Insects.'

There is also the fact that fast food isn't necessarily as unhealthy as it once was. Deespite popular belief, not all fast food is junk food. At McDonald's and Burger King you can get 'clean food's like grilled chicken,turkey, vegetables and salads, which are all good for you.

Go on enjoy your food. Have a nice day. Now I can't wait to taste those Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.:p

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Paula wrote: Previous generations survived, they went out and picked the food from the garden and prepared it. Today eveything is microwave and prepared food with high sodium. You are "what" you put into your body. Look in the mirror!

but...but...but...I'm afraid to look into the mirror! :p

Pass the Twinkies please. I need energy to go out into the garden and weed.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Tombstone wrote: but...but...but...I'm afraid to look into the mirror! :p

Pass the Twinkies please. I need energy to go out into the garden and weed.

But seriously, we rented "Supersize Me" last night. What a scary movie! Kind of depressing too when you realize how much crud we put into our bodies. It's very difficult to get away not only from fast food joints - but processed foods as well.

For those of you who are not familiar with this flick - check this out:

http://www.supersizeme.com/
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Well, how sweet T-Stone, but how many people do you know @48 eat twinkies? I cannot remember seeing a Twinkie never mind swallowing one? Also there are no weeds here while there is snow on the ground? For energy - remove ones self from the computer and leave the building, it really makes a difference. :yh_glasse
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Beth wrote: Um, the size 16 was smaller than today's size 16, I think. I wish that being plumper and having an hour glass figure was the standard for women these days, then I would not have to starve and fight myself over certain foods and force myself to workout so much- with the end result still being plump.

I think people ate less processed foods back in the day, did actual work since they did not have all the time staving luxuries we have these days, ate food from gardens as earlier mentioned, possibly ate less meat before meat became so readily avalable already slaughtered in regular rural grocery stores.hmmm.And women worked more back in those days. Lots of running about, up long stairs ect. Today, we all have it at the touch of a button. Its no wonder, we're sitting about watching the robot doing it all:wah:
chicagolosina

Post by chicagolosina »

Plus the fact that it is cheaper to eat unhealthy than healthy. 4L of orange juice is over $5.00 here, whereas you can buy 4L of soda for under $2.00...even less if you buy no name stuff. A lb of grapes...$2.49...A pound of potato chips? .99 cents.

They have it all backwards. Don't even get me started on the price of organic food!!
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

contrary to popular belief (and i speak from my former beliefs) orange juice - most fruit juices - are absolutely terrible for you.

they are sugar water. no, not as 'pure' a sugar water as coca cola et al, but sugar water nonetheless. the vitamin/mineral content is easily trumped by the useless calories.

whole fruits are good for you. fiber. vitamins. essential oils. etc. - juice is what's left after you squeeze the life out of fruit!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
Beth

Post by Beth »

anastrophe wrote: contrary to popular belief (and i speak from my former beliefs) orange juice - most fruit juices - are absolutely terrible for you.

they are sugar water. no, not as 'pure' a sugar water as coca cola et al, but sugar water nonetheless. the vitamin/mineral content is easily trumped by the useless calories.

whole fruits are good for you. fiber. vitamins. essential oils. etc. - juice is what's left after you squeeze the life out of fruit!Right. I do buy orange juice, but we often only drink a few ounces of it a day. A single carton will last us a week. I rarely ever drink it because I was advised by a doctor to limit my juice consumption when I had a sudden weight gain and the only change in my diet was an increase in drinking juices. Lotsa water and adequate amount of skim milk are the way to go for me. :)

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”