Obesity McLawsuit is rehashed

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

A Court in the US has revived a class-action lawsuit blaming McDonald's for making people fat, reinstating claims pertaining to deceptive advertising.

The 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals said New York's general business law requires a plaintiff to show only the deceptive advertising was misleading and that the plaintiff was injured as a result. A lower court tossed out the lawsuit twice.

The lawsuit alleges that tens of thousands of children have suffered obesity, diabetes, heart diseace, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol and other health problems after being misled by McDonald's products.

www.unison.ie/
Paula

Post by Paula »

Yes they need to be busted for making people fat! :p
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Next they will hit Candy or Ice Cream, cake :wah:
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

capt_buzzard wrote: A Court in the US has revived a class-action lawsuit blaming McDonald's for making people fat, reinstating claims pertaining to deceptive advertising.

The 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals said New York's general business law requires a plaintiff to show only the deceptive advertising was misleading and that the plaintiff was injured as a result. A lower court tossed out the lawsuit twice.

The lawsuit alleges that tens of thousands of children have suffered obesity, diabetes, heart diseace, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol and other health problems after being misled by McDonald's products.

www.unison.ie/
Oh my. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Since when has McDonald's ever claimed that their food was good for you? Children are taken there by their parents. Blame the parents!

This slippery slope of logic means lawsuits against:

Candy makers

Ice Cream

Alcohol

Any fatty foods.

Baked goods.

Avocados.

2nd Helpings!

Dessert.

I guess my plan for a nationwide deep-fried Twinkie food chain is out of the question now?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

As long as they don't hit my Mars Bar. Helps you rest,work and play :driving:
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

capt_buzzard wrote: As long as they don't hit my Mars Bar. Helps you rest,work and play :driving:
Yes! I prefer Mars over Snickers anyday!
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Personal responsibility and common sense surrender.
koan

Post by koan »

capt_buzzard wrote: Next they will hit Candy or Ice Cream, cake :wah:

You just gave me a craving for ice cream and I'm lactose intolerant. Does that mean I can sue you?
abbey

Post by abbey »

Paula wrote: Yes they need to be busted for making people fat! :p
So called "fast food" chains do'nt make people fat hon, people make people fat..

I went to mcdonalds on saturday & had a happy meal, the 1st i've had for a long time, and it did'nt make me very happy at all. :(
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by tombstone

Yes! I prefer Mars over Snickers anyday!

Deep fried mars bar now available in your nearest chip shop. Black pudding supper and deep fried mars bar for dessert, get your fix all in one go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4103415.stm

If you are really lucky you can get deep fried pizza as well yeugh
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Tombstone wrote: Oh my. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Since when has McDonald's ever claimed that their food was good for you? Children are taken there by their parents. Blame the parents!

It's actually quite a bit more interesting.... it seems that the claim is partly based on the fact that nutritional information was not available, and that some products which might be expected to be "healthier" weren't, e.g. chicken burgers (IIRC) containing far more fat than similar beef products. There's a paper which is worth a look at: http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~sbruton/BusEt ... ullett.htm
persephone

Post by persephone »

Bill Sikes wrote: It's actually quite a bit more interesting.... it seems that the claim is partly based on the fact that nutritional information was not available, and that some products which might be expected to be "healthier" weren't, e.g. chicken burgers (IIRC) containing far more fat than similar beef products. There's a paper which is worth a look at: http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~sbruton/BusEt ... ullett.htm
It's just the same with their salad though, it's salad people expect it to be a healthier choice just because it's salad... Then you look at the ingredients. That's the same with all premade salads from supermarkets as well. You soon learn that when you join weightwatchers and are trying to find something that won't bust the allowence.

How many people would've looked at the nutritional information if it had been available? The best thing to come out of the case was the fact that they began to give the information and people began to read it.

Common sense says that burgers and most things fried are full of fat.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

As a former chef, I had to take nutrition courses and such. Any premade food is not good for you. They have to be loaded with preservatives to sustain shelf life. The Mickey D's case is gonna get tossed again. Any fast food type cooking is not going to be good for you. Look at the ingredients they use. Frozen potatoes, greens covered in preservatives to maintain color and texture, 70% ground beef.. if you are lucky, pressed and formed chicken patties, and on and on and on .. ad nauseum. And don't forget, it is not just McDonalds. Burger King, Wendy's, KFC.. etc. Unfortunately we have become a society of convience. It is way too easy to swing into a fast food drive thru window and pick up something quick for dinner. Granted the advertising is targeting children.. happy meals etc.. but still the parents are responsible for making sure that the children eat a nutritionally sound diet.

Now .. another question that could be asked...

Do you sue the video game industry next...?? I mean what kid wants to to outside and play when they can sit and play games on thier X Box.. built by that upstanding company..Microsoft..

Do you sue the televison industry... ?? I mean a gazillion movie channels to chose from not to mention MTV and VH-1...

And how about the computer industry... I mean sitting and chatting online for hours at a time.. that is great exercise.. well.. atleast for thier fingers..

All of these pastimes have aided and abetted the obescity trend by creating a generation of couch potatoes..

okay.. rant over..... phew... it is way to early in the morning for this kind of thinking....
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
persephone

Post by persephone »

It's actually a little more than just being lazy though.

There are a lot of people who just can not afford a nutritional balanced diet, with 5 fruit and veg a day etc. Premade foods are cheap, fresh fruit and veg isn't.

Not that eating take away is cheap, talking more about regular food shoppping there.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

No.. I am not saying that laziness is the main culprit here, but.. it is so easy for a family of 4 to drop between $20 and $30 going to a fast food place. Granted fresh produce is not cheap, but you could purchase alot of fresh vegetables for that amount of money..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

letha wrote: It's just the same with their salad though, it's salad people expect it to be a healthier choice just because it's salad... Then you look at the ingredients. That's the same with all premade salads from supermarkets as well.

Are pre-made salads unhealthy, then? I must look at Tesco's website & see if they've any... what goes into McD's salad that's unhealthy? Genuine question, I have never been in a McD's.

letha wrote: How many people would've looked at the nutritional information if it had been available?

Ah - but it would have been there, and then this case wouldn'tve had a hope.

letha wrote: The best thing to come out of the case was the fact that they began to give the information and people began to read it.

Common sense says that burgers and most things fried are full of fat.

That's the thing - is chicken "healthier" than beef? Would you, in the absence of information, expect a "chicken burger" to have less fat than a beef one? In a land where litigation seemingly drives a large sector of the legal system, labelling could be critical...
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

greydeadhead wrote: Granted fresh produce is not cheap, but you could purchase alot of fresh vegetables for that amount of money..

(aside: how many people in the 'States have a vegetable plot in their gardens?)
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bill Sikes wrote: what goes into McD's salad that's unhealthy? Genuine question, I have never been in a McD's.

Ah! http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/asp/ourfood/ ... ulator.asp
persephone

Post by persephone »

Premade salads have far more in them, than you going out buying and making your own.

I really can't get over you've never been or eaten McD's :-2
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

abbey wrote: So called "fast food" chains do'nt make people fat hon, people make people fat..

I went to mcdonalds on saturday & had a happy meal, the 1st i've had for a long time, and it did'nt make me very happy at all. :( True Abbey
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

letha wrote: Premade salads have far more in them, than you going out buying and making your own.

Erm, far more what? To me a salad is just vegetable matter perhaps with a little oil or vinagrette, yuck phtoui to that last two.

letha wrote: I really can't get over you've never been or eaten McD's

I don't tend to go to these places often - McD's never; "Pizza Hut" once, some years ago, I had a pizza with an egg cracked on top & finished under the grill; "Wimpy" (SP?) oh, ages ago, can't remember what I had. That's it, I think. What else is there? "Burger King", I think - never been in one of those, either! There must be loads more I haven't been in!
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

I cannot stand these places. Full of rowdy kids. :mad: And the junk food :rolleyes:
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

McDonalds should be required to label their foods - every company should. They've been sued over all kinds of things...like the fact that their chicken and their fries are fried in beef fat, although it's not advertised. Sure, the average person figures fried anything is fatty, but what about the Hindu population who does not eat beef of any kind on religious grounds? They have the right to know that fries and chicken are cooked in beef fat. That was a lawsuit a few years back.

Premade salads are coated with preservatives, and - according to testing at universities - feces. Not an intentional ingredient, but there you go. So even if you buy a pre-made salad, make sure you wash it thoroughly.

Of course, feces is also found in meat in the US. The UK has better meat packing and health standards than we do.

I'm always full of cheerful news, yes?

Bill, I grew up having a fresh vegetable garden. In the south, anyone who had a bit of room grew tomatoes and beans at the very least. I grew fresh vegies when I had a home in Chicago. Currently I have the room to grow a Victory garden, but the time is harder to come by. The soil in my yard is awful, so it would be an intense project to get it ready. Perhaps after I finish school. I miss dirt and sunshine!
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Bill Sikes wrote: (aside: how many people in the 'States have a vegetable plot in their gardens?)
Looks like quite a few FG'ers have a veggie garden. The funny thing is, I doubt the people who grow their own veggies are the obese population who scarf at McD's.

Come to think of it - does anyone know of an active gardner who is obese? I can't think of any that I know.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: posted by tombstone

Deep fried mars bar now available in your nearest chip shop. Black pudding supper and deep fried mars bar for dessert, get your fix all in one go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4103415.stm

If you are really lucky you can get deep fried pizza as well yeughBlack pudding eh. I could not get in Perth the last time I was over. All Haggis, but I love it:D

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”