Hey Bipolars!

RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

I realize I'm stepping out naked here, but is there anyone else here who is bipolar (manic-depressive) and not too afraid to say so? I'm having some troubles with stuff.... :-3
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Bill Sikes »

RedGlitter;641049 wrote: I realize I'm stepping out naked here, but is there anyone else here who is bipolar (manic-depressive) and not too afraid to say so? I'm having some troubles with stuff.... -3


Search for old stuff. I hope your cycles are slow and your extremes are low. BTW, I also wish that the bloody daddy long-legs that's just flown in would just flap off again. Nothing in that last, it's just what's happened. Flippin' things.
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by buttercup »

Red there are several really good depression forums on the internet, im not sure about one's specifically for bipolar but assume there must be. I can pass you some links to excellent depression websites that i know of.
User avatar
Bill Sikes
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;641084 wrote: Red there are several really good depression forums on the internet


Try Usenet.

alt.support.depression

alt.support.depression.manic

alt.support.depression.manic.moderated

alt.support.depression.medication

soc.support.depression.manic

A "group" search will show you things. Note, it seems to me that Google are trying to deny the existence of Usenet groups, for their own nefarious purposes. Don't be put off by arseholes posting stupid articles.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks you guys.

I was just hoping someone here would be in my boat. I feel comfy here...going to a new place and talking to strangers doesn't really excite me much. I'm having medication problems.

Buttercup, was it you who asked me to write about being bipolar for a website you had a year or so ago?? I've been meaning to ask if it was you...seems like it was but I don't know?
User avatar
Pheasy
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Pheasy »

Hey Red, you know my link with Bi-Polar. To be honest, you have been a great help to me in the past and have been a valuable support for me, it is you who has helped me. I truely hope there is someone who can answer your feelings right now. You are a wonderful person. :-4
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

ThePheasant;641117 wrote: Hey Red, you know my link with Bi-Polar. To be honest, you have been a great help to me in the past and have been a valuable support for me, it is you who has helped me. I truely hope there is someone who can answer your feelings right now. You are a wonderful person. :-4


Thank you Pheasant. I don't what help I've been but if I have been, then I'm really glad about it. In fact, I've been waiting to hear from you about how it's been going...? :-4
User avatar
Pheasy
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Pheasy »

RedGlitter;641127 wrote: Thank you Pheasant. I don't what help I've been but if I have been, then I'm really glad about it. In fact, I've been waiting to hear from you about how it's been going...? :-4


Red, I found you when I was hitting rock bottom. We talked on the phone, you heard my tears. I don't want to go over this in too much detail right now - cos I know when you are down the last thing you need too hear is someone elses tears.

I just want to say that everthing is wonderful, I have my baby back - I never physically lost him, but felt I was losing him in real life.

The only reason I am posting this publicly is to show others what a wonderful person you are, the power of help and friendship and love.

Thanks Red, I will never forget your help.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

ThePheasant;641184 wrote: Red, I found you when I was hitting rock bottom. We talked on the phone, you heard my tears. I don't want to go over this in too much detail right now - cos I know when you are down the last thing you need too hear is someone elses tears.

I just want to say that everthing is wonderful, I have my baby back - I never physically lost him, but felt I was losing him in real life.

The only reason I am posting this publicly is to show others what a wonderful person you are, the power of help and friendship and love.

Thanks Red, I will never forget your help.


Thanks Theresa.

I don't know what to say.

Hearing that your son is doing better pleases me something fierce. It really does.

Thank you a bunch for the things you said. A bunch. :-4
sharedfastlane
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:05 pm

Hey Bipolars!

Post by sharedfastlane »

This system really looked good to me especially as the person has been through it all. See what you think.

http://bipolarhappens.com/cards/healthcardspacket.pdf
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you Fastlane.

Hey Theresa...

I didn't go through all of it yet but right away the beginning said a lot that made me think of your sitch. You might check it out. It reinforces that people, including kids with bipolar are NOT AT FAULT. That it just is what it is, like diabetes or a heart murmur. Man, if everyone realized that.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

You have it, AF??

*extends hand*

Hi Pal. :-4
Carl44
Posts: 10719
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Carl44 »

my doc and her doctor friends ,all say i'm very depressed and need x amount of antidepressants but although i'm in pain for recently deceased loved ones and my daughter is causing me so much pain i want to shake her ,love her ,shout at her and cradle her all at the same time ,i feel happy i get up like tigger and bound about all over the place and through my tears of pain i cry tears of joy for i can see all what is beautiful and precious in the world



and some of my friends here on fg have helped me see that thanks guys



specially red :-6 :-6
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

:wah: Thanks AF!!

I used to be on Celexa...can't remember why I stopped. Must not have worked is all. I've tried most of those drugs you listed. I'll tell you the worst I've tried:

Wellbutrin

Seroquel

Topomax

Man. Those things were rife with splitting sick headaches, pins and needles, taste change, etc etc.

I just thank God I live when I do- thinking that if this were even 40 years ago, I may be in an asylum getting shock treatment. God forbid!
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Awww.

Thanks Jim.

Wait'll we run into each other one of these days...the stories we could tell! :-4
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks AF! Yeah I do remember that Lucy segment. :wah:

I'm always open to new options. Vicodin works really well but for obvious reasons that can't last. :thinking:
User avatar
Pheasy
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Pheasy »

RedGlitter;641293 wrote: Thank you Fastlane.

Hey Theresa...

I didn't go through all of it yet but right away the beginning said a lot that made me think of your sitch. You might check it out. It reinforces that people, including kids with bipolar are NOT AT FAULT. That it just is what it is, like diabetes or a heart murmur. Man, if everyone realized that.


Thanks Terri, I will check out the site.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks AF. :)



Theresa.....I've been thinking (a lot) about what you said.

I realized that if what I told you helped you with your son, then all the BS I go through having it and being stigmatized for it, is worth it. I guess that really is the reason I refuse to shut up about it.

Because there's someone else out there just like me.

So...thanks. :-4
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Mia »

RedGlitter;641049 wrote: I realize I'm stepping out naked here, but is there anyone else here who is bipolar (manic-depressive) and not too afraid to say so? I'm having some troubles with stuff.... :-3


Red,My eldest son has Bipolar it started when he was twenty one,well that was the first time he went manic and had to be sectioned.he had been a very withdrawn boy for most of his life but none of us realised there was a problem.It took quite a while for the doctors to get his medication right as they have to use conflicting meds to keep away bith the highs and the lows.He has been stable for the last five years.He now has a job a lovely girlfriend who accepts he has a problem and they are expecting their first baby in twelve weeks time. If there is anything you would like to know,feel free to PM me.

Mia
User avatar
Pheasy
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Pheasy »

RedGlitter;641872 wrote: Thanks AF. :)



Theresa.....I've been thinking (a lot) about what you said.

I realized that if what I told you helped you with your son, then all the BS I go through having it and being stigmatized for it, is worth it. I guess that really is the reason I refuse to shut up about it.

Because there's someone else out there just like me.

So...thanks. :-4


Apart from being extremely grateful too you for all your help and your shoulder to lean on, that's what I was trying to say too (just not so good at explaining myself).

Likewise with me, if my experiences can help any other parents out there who have an ADHD/bi-polar child or any parents who has had to cope with having a child (Lucy) with a life threatening allergy (and experiences of taking on the school system and challenging the 'no child left behind' program), then something positive has come out of something I would rather not have ever had to deal with.

Once again I am extremely grateful to you and Zinky (our batty, but very wise friend), for being there for me. :-4
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Good deal, Theresa.

And yeah, Zinky can be pretty cool...even when he's just hanging out. :thinking: :wah:
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Mia;641890 wrote: Red,My eldest son has Bipolar it started when he was twenty one,well that was the first time he went manic and had to be sectioned.he had been a very withdrawn boy for most of his life but none of us realised there was a problem.It took quite a while for the doctors to get his medication right as they have to use conflicting meds to keep away bith the highs and the lows.He has been stable for the last five years.He now has a job a lovely girlfriend who accepts he has a problem and they are expecting their first baby in twelve weeks time. If there is anything you would like to know,feel free to PM me.

Mia


Hi Mia.

What does "sectioned" mean?? I'm not familiar with that.

So your son is on dual medications too? I'm on lexapro and abilify. Lexapro for the lows and Abilify for the highs. It probably did me good after my mom's death because it kept me upright since it numbed me to the point of not feeling what I'm sure I normally would have. But that's my trouble with these Rx's: the feeling of numbness. It's like every day is like the next. Things happen that should blow me away because they're so great and yet I'm like "Yeah so?" I just don't really feel it. I went off for two months and was feeling like a real person with real emotions but then I went downhill so I had to get back on fast. Does your son have this numbness problem at all?? Does he take both at the same time or one night and one day??
User avatar
Pheasy
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Pheasy »

My son is on Focalin, Celexa and Abilify. I have to say Terri, that the Abilify seems to have really helped - we took him of it for a few days and he hit problems straight away.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

ThePheasant;642045 wrote: My son is on Focalin, Celexa and Abilify. I have to say Terri, that the Abilify seems to have really helped - we took him of it for a few days and he hit problems straight away.


Wow! It worked that fast? Usually it takes a couple weeks to kick in. Well that's good though. I think I'll stay on it for a while.
User avatar
Pheasy
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Pheasy »

RedGlitter;642080 wrote: Wow! It worked that fast? Usually it takes a couple weeks to kick in. Well that's good though. I think I'll stay on it for a while.


Yes the doc. said it could take approx. 2 wks to work. With him it worked straight away, and when we took him off it (as an experiment due to adding Celexa), instant change.
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Mia »

RedGlitter;642039 wrote: Hi Mia.

What does "sectioned" mean?? I'm not familiar with that.

So your son is on dual medications too? I'm on lexapro and abilify. Lexapro for the lows and Abilify for the highs. It probably did me good after my mom's death because it kept me upright since it numbed me to the point of not feeling what I'm sure I normally would have. But that's my trouble with these Rx's: the feeling of numbness. It's like every day is like the next. Things happen that should blow me away because they're so great and yet I'm like "Yeah so?" I just don't really feel it. I went off for two months and was feeling like a real person with real emotions but then I went downhill so I had to get back on fast. Does your son have this numbness problem at all?? Does he take both at the same time or one night and one day??


Hi Red In England sectioned means that when someone has a breakdown and are cosidered to be a danger to themselves or others they have no choice but to be detained in hospital for treatment for at least twenty eight days.Of course if they improve quickly then they are allowed home sooner than that.My son has been sectioned four times when he had realy bad manic episodes.

I have not heard of the drugs you are on,but I suppose it is a case of different countries again. He takes Lithium for the highs and diazapam for the lows.He has also had electric shock therapy, this is something I was not happy about as it causes memory loss and though they say it will return he has quite a few gaps and I have to tell him things about his childhood.As I say he has not had any manic episodes for five years now,We are aware it could happen again but I am very aware of the early signs and get him to see a doctor before it is too late.

I also know what you must go through with the predjudice out there,If someone has a physical illness then they get sympathy and understanding.When it involves the mind they shrink away.The one good thing there, is it certainly sorts out who are your true friends,my son has been fortunate that he has a small circle of friends that have stood by him.

I wish you all the very best,and I do admire you for bringing the thread on here.As you know you are certainly not alone as this is a very common illness.

Hugs for you.

Mia
User avatar
Pheasy
Posts: 5647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Pheasy »

Mia, not sure what to say, other than, if ever need a friend or someone to talk too I will be here. My son, has it quite mild compared to yours but if we can share some thoughts or emotions on this subject then hopefully it will help somewhere. :-4 :-4
cinamin
Posts: 673
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:41 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by cinamin »

RG I do hope that you are doing better. Email me.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you Mia.

Does your son have any bad effects from the Lithium? I've heard quite a bit about that drug.

The ECT scares me. As I'm sure it did you. They keep talking about how that's popular again but like you said, people experience gaps in memory from it.

You're on the ball about true friends. I had one really good friend who I've known for years imply that I was "just sad all the time." Or bummed out. It made me angry and I had to sit her down and explain to her just what went on. She's much better about it now.

Thanks Mia, for the info and your support. :)
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Mia »

ThePheasant;643013 wrote: Mia, not sure what to say, other than, if ever need a friend or someone to talk too I will be here. My son, has it quite mild compared to yours but if we can share some thoughts or emotions on this subject then hopefully it will help somewhere. :-4 :-4


Pheasant,thankyou so much.I guess I am ued to the illness now.I must say you never get used to the very bad manic episodes as they are very scary,if it is just the personality change and mad spending spree it is not so bad and I hide his car keys..lol.I do love him to bits and pray the worst is behind us now.

Mia xx
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Mia »

RedGlitter;643019 wrote: Thank you Mia.

Does your son have any bad effects from the Lithium? I've heard quite a bit about that drug.

The ECT scares me. As I'm sure it did you. They keep talking about how that's popular again but like you said, people experience gaps in memory from it.

You're on the ball about true friends. I had one really good friend who I've known for years imply that I was "just sad all the time." Or bummed out. It made me angry and I had to sit her down and explain to her just what went on. She's much better about it now.

Thanks Mia, for the info and your support. :)


Yes Red the lithium did have bad side effects.Ie sickness.Also ...goodnesss he would be upset if he knew I am putting this on the net...what shall I say ...well he needed help with some viagra.When he managed to get a job he was tested for drugs and they picked up on his medication and said it was much too big a dose to consider him safe to hold the job down.He saw his Doctor and they cut the amounts he was on down so that he could keep his job.So far so good I think he does get a bit low at times,but not into the big black hole he used to be in.

I am glad your friend understood I wish more people would ,but most seem to put their heads in the sand.

All the best to you.

Mia xx
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by RedGlitter »

Mia;643290 wrote: Yes Red the lithium did have bad side effects.Ie sickness.Also ...goodnesss he would be upset if he knew I am putting this on the net...what shall I say ...well he needed help with some viagra.When he managed to get a job he was tested for drugs and they picked up on his medication and said it was much too big a dose to consider him safe to hold the job down.He saw his Doctor and they cut the amounts he was on down so that he could keep his job.So far so good I think he does get a bit low at times,but not into the big black hole he used to be in.

I am glad your friend understood I wish more people would ,but most seem to put their heads in the sand.

All the best to you.

Mia xx


Hi Mia,

I've heard a lot about Lithium. Weight gain, skin damage, mood swings and constant blood testing. I'm just really leery of it for myself.

I am curious as to why his employer had a problem with the dose. Why would it be too much? Did they think he was going to flip out on them? I find that upsetting and frankly, discriminatory.
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

Hey Bipolars!

Post by Mia »

Yes they did think that red.He is an Electrician,it has been very difficult for him to get a job because of the prejudice about his condition. he had countless interviews before anyone gave him a chance.When he challenged one potential employer about the obvious prejudice,he was told he would need a doctors letter to say he was fit for work.No one can say he is better as it is a life long condition and nobody knows if he will have another bad attack or not.Rather than argue his case he went along with his new employer as he very much enjoys his job and is feeling he has a purpose in life again.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”