Run for a healthy Heart

capt_buzzard

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by capt_buzzard »

One reason why women live longer than men could be that they have stronger hearts, it was claimed yesterday.

Researchers found men's hearts lose up to a quarter of their pumping power between the ages of 18 and 70.

Womens hearts, in contrast, stay strong well into old age. As a result, the heart of a healthy 70-year old woman performs almost as well as it did when she was 20.

Professor David Goldspink, who led the research at Liverpool University, said, 'This dramatic gender difference might just explain why women live longer than men".

On average, women's lifespans are about five years longer than men's are.

Women over the age of 60 are now the fastest growing group in today's society.

Professor Goldpink's team spent two years studying ageing in more than 250 healthy men and women between the ages of 18 and 80.

Selecting only healthy individuals allowed the scientists to look at the ageing process without their findings being distorted on lifespan.

By simultaneously studying both men and women, we have being able to look for either similarities or differences between the two sexes as they get older.

The Professor said, that its not all bad news for men, they could improve their health of their hearts by simply taking more exercise like walking, instead of running.
polycarp

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by polycarp »

Hello capt_buzzard, revealing information, will it be right for me to assert that every married woman is a potential widow?
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
capt_buzzard

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by capt_buzzard »

polycarp wrote: Hello capt_buzzard, revealing information, will it be right for me to assert that every married woman is a potential widow? Hmmm I'm wondering about African men, or indeed men from the Middle Eastern countries? With five or more wives in tow. Surely this requires a healthy heart :wah:
polycarp

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by polycarp »

As a matter of fact do you know that the life expectancy in my country is 56 years. Funny enough it is even considered high compared to other African countries. Maybe our polygamous men should think twice.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
Bill Sikes

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by Bill Sikes »

capt_buzzard wrote: One reason why women live longer than men could be that they have stronger hearts, it was claimed yesterday.

*That* was in the Telegraph, too, you must read it! There are extra bits in the original article, about how a "veteran" athlete's heart could be as "strong" as a 20 yr. olds. Basically the thing to do is to keep exercising in moderation to preserve your heart function.
capt_buzzard

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by capt_buzzard »

Bill Sikes wrote: *That* was in the Telegraph, too, you must read it! There are extra bits in the original article, about how a "veteran" athlete's heart could be as "strong" as a 20 yr. olds. Basically the thing to do is to keep exercising in moderation to preserve your heart function. A very good paper Bill.
Bill Sikes

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by Bill Sikes »

Last night I couldn't access it to post the URL, which is:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... eart11.xml
capt_buzzard

Run for a healthy Heart

Post by capt_buzzard »

Bill Sikes wrote: Last night I couldn't access it to post the URL, which is:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... eart11.xml Thank you Bill.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”