Fun and help!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
ANITA0101

Fun and help!

Post by ANITA0101 »

To me it is a great help, to u it can be a fun:)

Being a second language user of English, sometimes, i am getting confused about when and where to put "the" in my sentences.

Could u please give out examples of using "the" for me, at any time u get one of it. It will be a great help for me to correctly master the using method of "THE", CHEERS! :-3

Let's see how good ur English is!:wah:
Dizz

Fun and help!

Post by Dizz »

The is used to refer to a specific noun. The dog (means the one in front of you or that you are talking about) A dog (Any dog).
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."

:yh_rotfl
mominiowa

Fun and help!

Post by mominiowa »

Heck Anita - I get to typing so fast and I spell the wrong.....(teh) all THE time...Hee hee Good Luck - I use Sign Language as my second language that way I can't miss spell anything Hee hee

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
ANITA0101

Fun and help!

Post by ANITA0101 »

Is there any special occasion that u made a mistake of "The"?

I think "The" is not so often used in a sentence.

But somethimes i still confused.:-5
Nomad

Fun and help!

Post by Nomad »

What is your native language Anita and where do you live ?Your doing well by the way, its cute.
I AM AWESOME MAN
ANITA0101

Fun and help!

Post by ANITA0101 »

My mother language is Chinese,of course, i live in a small town in China.

Tell u something really funny. I met an American on the travel back home. He asked where i am from, i told him that i came from a middle size city called Yueyang in Hunan Province. We have population of 2,000,000 and then i kept saying "it's small, isn't it". He stared at me saying" a small town with 2000,000 people!R u joking!""no, i am not." Then i said" well it is not so small."

In Beijing we have population of 20,000,000, that's where we call big city! He said he lives in a town with 600.What a joke, what a huge contrast.
minks

Fun and help!

Post by minks »

ANITA0101 wrote: My mother language is Chinese,of course, i live in a small town in China.

Tell u something really funny. I met an American on the travel back home. He asked where i am from, i told him that i came from a middle size city called Yueyang in Hunan Province. We have population of 2,000,000 and then i kept saying "it's small, isn't it". He stared at me saying" a small town with 2000,000 people!R u joking!""no, i am not." Then i said" well it is not so small."

In Beijing we have population of 20,000,000, that's where we call big city! He said he lives in a town with 600.What a joke, what a huge contrast.

Well I think you are doing remarkably well with your english. Welcome to FG. It is harder to write it than speak it. What you typed above is very well done.

As for the word THE just drop it in anywhere ahahahaha ok never mind that. As mentioned above The is used to note a specific noun,

The day we rode to The market we bought The book.

That sentence states on a specific day you rode to a specific market for a specific book.

A day we rode to a market we bought a book.

Any day any market any book.

Feel free to ask for help any time.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Accountable

Fun and help!

Post by Accountable »

Articles (a, an, the, etc.) are not used in Japanese (my wife's native language). Is it the same in Chinese?

We've found that the problem is not not using it, it's using it too much! Very tricky, those articles. :thinking:
chrisb84uk

Fun and help!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Must say I am impressed with your English Anita, I know how difficult learning a second language can be, so well done for learning what you have so far.
ANITA0101

Fun and help!

Post by ANITA0101 »

yes,we don't have Articles(a, an, the etc) in Chinese. Japanese got a lot influence from Chinese, many letters and words and types are the same. I always think of suing them for copyright fee or other intellectual rights charges.:wah:

Moreover we don't have tense. Is that interesting!:-6
minks

Fun and help!

Post by minks »

chrisb84uk wrote: Must say I am impressed with your English Anita, I know how difficult learning a second language can be, so well done for learning what you have so far.

Are you Bilingual too Chris?

Gosh I am considering taking Russian come fall.

― Mae West
chrisb84uk

Fun and help!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well I studied German and French for a couple of years, but can't say that I'm any good. Learning Russian huh, my friend tried to learn it and gave up after a month :wah:, so good luck to you Minks if u do take it up
minks

Fun and help!

Post by minks »

chrisb84uk wrote: Well I studied German and French for a couple of years, but can't say that I'm any good. Learning Russian huh, my friend tried to learn it and gave up after a month :wah:, so good luck to you Minks if u do take it up

Well I work with 6 of them I am sure they would keep me going ahahahaha

either that or Persian HaH! or not.

I wish I had learned French but hey in grade 9 when it is mandatory in school as a canadian what do I know about my future huh hehehehe

― Mae West
chrisb84uk

Fun and help!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Ah the dreaded language lessons back at school, such bad memories!

The worst times are when u are trying to get into a conversation in that language with someone, and yet just can't seem to get the sentence right. I once was trying to have a discussion with my french teacher about greeting introductions and accidently went and said something that i shouldn't of :-1

It was only until she pointed out to me that I had just asked her out on a date by mistake that I realised that French was not for me haha. Since then I've stuck to English
minks

Fun and help!

Post by minks »

chrisb84uk wrote: Ah the dreaded language lessons back at school, such bad memories!

The worst times are when u are trying to get into a conversation in that language with someone, and yet just can't seem to get the sentence right. I once was trying to have a discussion with my french teacher about greeting introductions and accidently went and said something that i shouldn't of :-1

It was only until she pointed out to me that I had just asked her out on a date by mistake that I realised that French was not for me haha. Since then I've stuck to English

Oiy Very Red Face Moment hehehe well I guess it is best to stick with what one knows best hehehehe.

I help the guys out here a lot with their english, so I think they would be most helpful with Russian, or... either that lead me astray. Gasp I better keep it a secret hehehehe

― Mae West
chrisb84uk

Fun and help!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Haha yeah I can imagine the kinds of path that they could lead you down. Well good luck with it if u do decide to take it up.
ANITA0101

Fun and help!

Post by ANITA0101 »

Talking about Russian, in the generation of my parents,China had very good relationship with Soviet. So they had dreaded Russian language educations during their middle school and college period, which are useless nowadays for them.

When i was studying in my middle school, i was very good at English during junior grades. Before i entered into university, my English classes were full of funky sentences, irksome grammars, which totally blowed my interests in English away.

The English teacher in my university is a man who speak English with strong Changsha(a city in China) accent. I so dislike his course and skip classes all the time. Well u can see, i stopped learning English for almost 4 years because i refused to learn those monotonous sentences and grammars. I want to learn language only for aims to manage it well and communicate with native speakers. I have my own way learning English-- talk,read,listenning,write,thinking etc.

All in all, learning to communicate not for passing tests. My English is getting better these days with ur helps and encouragements.

Thank u very much!:)
lilahnee

Fun and help!

Post by lilahnee »

"The" is an article, one of three in the English language (a and an are the other two) They precede a noun (an adjective or adverb may come between the "the" and the noun.

lilahnee
cars

Fun and help!

Post by cars »

ANITA0101 wrote: Talking about Russian, in the generation of my parents,China had very good relationship with Soviet. So they had dreaded Russian language educations during their middle school and college period, which are useless nowadays for them.

When i was studying in my middle school, i was very good at English during junior grades. Before i entered into university, my English classes were full of funky sentences, irksome grammars, which totally blowed my interests in English away.

The English teacher in my university is a man who speak English with strong Changsha(a city in China) accent. I so dislike his course and skip classes all the time. Well u can see, i stopped learning English for almost 4 years because i refused to learn those monotonous sentences and grammars. I want to learn language only for aims to manage it well and communicate with native speakers. I have my own way learning English-- talk,read,listenning,write,thinking etc.

All in all, learning to communicate not for passing tests. My English is getting better these days with ur helps and encouragements.

Thank u very much!:)

ANITA, your english composition is excellent, you might be able to give lessons to some of the members here. Oh yeah, welcome to FG, enjoy yourself.

Kick "THE" stuffing out of this place!!! :)
Cars :)
ANITA0101

Fun and help!

Post by ANITA0101 »

It had been a long time that i didn't say something in this forum, deadly busy these days and stressful life i was in. When i got a rest and turned on TV today, a national organized English competition appealed to me. Seeing those boys and girls about 10 years old or so, maybe even below 10 years old, which makes me feel how great they are to already have ability to effectively manage a second language.When i was 10 years old, i don't even know A, B, C. This made me quite ashamed. Then i log in this website and write something down to make myself memorize this feeling and encourage myself to work harder and harder.:-5
Accountable

Fun and help!

Post by Accountable »

Yaaaaaay Anita!!
ANITA0101

Fun and help!

Post by ANITA0101 »

Accountable: That's cute! Thank you very much!

Return to “General Chit Chat”